As massage therapists we all know massage benefits are maximized with frequent sessions. There is no shortage of clients with the financial means to take advantage of this fact. To help those clients, there are a few ways we can offer discounts as a thank you for their loyalty. My method of choice is to offer spa and massage packages.
Packages require very little effort to sell. When compared to selling memberships, a package deal is more attractive for the following reasons:
- No contract is required.
- Less risk of mistakes with auto drafts.
- Typically less negative reviews when services are discontinued.
- Clients don’t need to worry about keeping up with prepaid sessions.
- Simpler terms for both the client and owner.
- Client has more control over their sessions and when they can use them.
- Businesses experience larger cash influx at once.
- Clients receive similar membership discount privileges upfront.
While spa and packages prove to be valuable to both the client and owner, some clients need a little more convincing. For sake of time, I’ll just list 6. But these 6 minor changes can help convert more package sales than you have in the past.
- Reduce the left digit by 1. Without going into too much detail of why this works, I’ll conclude that customers tend to place more value on the left most number. Example:
6 massages valued at $75 per massage. The full price would be $450. You would like to discount that to $400. Research shows, more people will purchase a package priced at $399 than $400.
- Display your prices in a smaller font size than the elements surrounding it. This helps maximize the size of the discount. Example:
6 SESSIONS ONLY $399
- Sort Packages From High to Low. Clients use the first price they see as a reference point. That said all other prices by comparison seem like a better deal. Example:
12 Sessions: $799
6 Sessions: $399
3 Sessions: $199
- Remove the currency symbol. Example: Do you really need one?
5. Show an absolute value of savings on package prices NOT percentages. Example:
6 Sessions ONLY $400
- Position discounted price to the right of original price. Example:
Kamillya Hunter is the owner and founder of Spa Analytics. She encourages independent owners to focus on The Details That Matter when running a business. She’s a mom of two, an army wife, author and a self diagnosed “Spa Junkie” who lives, eats, breathes and sleeps the personal service industry.